Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bedtime Update....

NOT GOING SO WELL!! It is 1 day shy of a week that we have been struggling with Copey and his bedtime. Tonight has been the best night in the last week... and it still wasn't easy. To make a very long story short, Copeland was still in a crib, and friday night we knew we had to get him out of that crib and into a toddler bed! We had a really rough night friday night and saturday night. 

Friday - normal bedtime routine.... except I sat by his bedside for an hour and 45 min. Finally I told him I was going to my bed and he was to stay in his crib. I left, shut the door with him screaming and I hadn't been in my room for 5 min. and we could tell the crying was getting louder... he was standing at his door. So we go in there, calm him down, put him back in his crib and and I shut the door but left a little crack so I could peek in on him. What I saw was a shocker. He basically falls out of his crib! He gets one leg over and then just rolls!! At that moment, my heart quit beating. As I see my little baby plop on the floor I run in there and ask if he's ok. So we decided that night that he would sleep with us and we would immediately convert his crib into a bed. No more climbing/falling out of his crib! 

Saturday-(I'm not doing very well keeping this short, oops) ok, so we convert his bed and that night I sat in there with him for an hour before he finally fell asleep. Well around 1:00 we wake up to screaming. Beau gets up and goes in there to calm him down and sit with him. After about 45 min. he's asleep - or so we thought. About 15 min after Beau comes back to bed we hear little feet running into our room. So I go back in there and sit with him for another hour and the little stinker is still not asleep!!! Finally I talk to him and tell him that there is nothing to be afraid of and that Jesus is with him and to just talk to Jesus. He starts asking where Oliver is at. OLIVER- why hadn't I thought of him before!? So I put Oliver in his room with him and it worked! For a little anyway (by this time it was almost 3:30). Cope stayed in his bed and slept till 7!! I have been praying and praying - I really don't know what else to do, and while I was laying in bed last night, I felt that God was telling me to "be patient, be consistent". I just kept saying that over and over in my head. I think the Lord is trying to work on me and teach me patience. 

So tonight, Beau put him in his bed, I read him a book and prayed with him, held his hand for about 5 min, talked to him to keep him calm (he started to get a little worked up) and brought in OLIVER. So far so good. It has been 45 min. and he hasn't made a peep or came out of his room. PTL!! I just hope this continue to work.  
I hope this story isn't to boring or crazy.... I not only wanted to give an update, but record it for my own memories sake. 
I'll keep you all updated and try to get pics soon of him in his bed. He loves it during the day! :) 
I love him so much my heart just swells! When I think about him, I can't help but smile. Even though I get frustrated, my love for him is unconditional. (I think God is also saying "sound familiar?") 

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh Ali, sorry about the not sleeping thing. Being up in the middle of the night is extra hard when your baby isn't an infant anymore. We had a rough night last night too and were up for the day at 5:45. It's only 7:57 and I am already ready for a nap :)

Chelsa said...

ali- you're a great mom and you'll get through this! i always tell myself that it's a stage and it's not like they will do this forever. hope last night went well!

Jessie said...

Sorry Ali!:( I hate that for you.....I hear you're planning a trip home soon!I bet you're excited:)